Friday 15 April 2011

OH WHAT A LOVELY WAR

A couple of days ago I went to see the fine, Trevor Nunn production of Terence Rattigan's play 'Flarepath' at the Theatre Royal, Haymarket.

The play is about a love and duty during wartime and is set in a boarding house very near an aerodrome for a squadron of Wimpeys (Wellington bombers).

The finish is with a slightly reworded (for the RAF) version of the WW1 song, "I don't want to join the army, I don't want to go to war" and this led me to remember another version of this song, this time contemporary with WW1, but very much a woman's version.

Sadly, I don't remember all the words but here are some of them:

"Monday, I wake up with a soldier;
Tuesday, I wake up with a tar;
Wednesday, I go out with a young boy scout
Thursday, a hussar
Friday, I tie-up with the Navy
- I've always liked the look of something blue.
But on Saturday I'm willing,
if you have got a shilling
to make a man of any one of you."

Or something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment